2018 Sustainability Highlights
Sustainability is central to how we do business. We have reported using an integrated annual report, combing our sustainability and financial performance, for four years. 2018 sustainability highlights include:
- Reporting on over 70 social and environmental key performance indicators, which includes third-party assurance on material ESG or sustainability data
- Reporting on climate change in line with the Financial Stability Board Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)
- The reduction of over 9.1 million tonnes of CO2e over 2017 levels – the equivalent of removing 1.9 million cars off the road during the same period
- The reduction of over 21 million tonnes of CO2e over 2005 levels
- Prevention of over 2.9 million tonnes of CO2e emissions through renewable energy production, equivalent to removing over 620,000 vehicles from North American roads
- Approved development of an additional 326 MW of wind energy across North America
- The reduction of nitrogen dioxide emissions by 58 per cent and sulphur dioxide emissions by 72 per cent over 2005 levels
- A record safety year, which included a 0.54 Injury Frequency Rate and 1.98 Total Incident Frequency
- Female participation or gender splits for our executive team and Board of 50 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively
- Continued progress on our plans to transition our coal plants to gas— in line with our clean power growth strategy; and
- Community Investments totaling $2.4 million, with $750,000 being dedicated to youth education
TransAlta has been reporting on sustainability for 25 years.
In 2019, we released our fourth integrated report, which covered results in 2018. We are proud to be the first company in Alberta to integrate financial and sustainability reporting.
We are on the leading edge — very few companies put their financial, people, environmental and safety goals all together in one integrated annual report.
Reporting our sustainability results alongside our financial and operational performance reflects how central sustainability is to how we do business.
Key Sustainability Information
- Business Model, Strategy, and Materiality
- CEO Letter to Shareholders
- Sustainability Performance Indicators
- Sustainability Assurance Statement
- 2018 Sustainability Targets Update
- 2019 and Long-term Sustainability Targets
- Climate Disclosure aligned with TCFD
- Human Capital Performance
- Intellectual Capital Performance
- Social and Relationship Capital Performance
- Natural Capital Performance
- Governance and Risk Management
- Plant Summary