TransAlta Energy Australia is building on our 20+ year history in the country with significant new investments made over the past few years. TransAlta serves large industrial customers in the region and has invested over a billion dollars in Western Australia in assets with stable long-term contracts since 2011.
First Plant Commissioned in Australia
MW of Net Generating Capacity
Community Sponsored Events Annually
In the mid nineties TransAlta started operations in the Goldfields, supporting Gold and Nickel Operations from our Parkeston & Southern Cross facilities and we’ve been safely and reliably supporting Australia’s resource industry ever since. In 2014, TransAlta and Horizon Power entered a long-term supply contract, resulting in TransAlta’s newest addition to the fleet; the 150 MW South Hedland Power Station reaching commercial operation in 2017. South Hedland actively supports the Iron Ore industry by supplying efficient reliable gas generation to the region.
We now provide generation to customers across Western Australia, from facilities connected to the South West Interconnected System (SWIS), the North West Interconnected System (NWIS) and off-grid load customers.
We seek to invest in communities where we can have meaningful impact and enhance the quality of life where our employees work and live.
TransAlta Australia’s community investment partnerships include:
- Supporting the mentorship projects in the Pilbara region of The Smith Family Toy & Book Appeal;
- Sponsorship of the Special Children’s Christmas Party, Australia’s largest event of its kind;
- Sponsorship of Coxman Training and Iron Pride Refit at Volunteer Marine Rescue Service Port Hedland Inc.;
- Donations to the Illusions Netball Club Port Hedland, supplying new matching squad uniforms and equipment replacement for their two junior teams;
- Donations to Hedland Well Women’s Centre in support of their three-day Christmas Lunch where Hedland residents can form new friendships and connect and engage with staff; and
- Leinster Sport and Recreation Association Inc. through the donation of a new Leinster Community Playground in partnership with BHP Nickel West.
For a full list of TransAlta community investments, visit Community Investment.