The Windrise Wind Project is situated on 11,000 acres of land located in the Municipal District of Willow Creek.
TransAlta presently operates all windfarm facilities in the municipality and has been a proud member of the local business community since 2001.
The Project will have a nameplate capacity of 207 MW and will consist of 43-46 turbines depending on the final turbine technology selected.
In order to connect the Windrise Wind Project to Alberta’s electricity system, a transmission line is required. The Windrise Transmission Project will connect the proposed Windrise Wind Project substation to Alberta’s electricity system approximately 20-22km from the wind project site.
As project development progresses, TransAlta will be engaging more directly in the community and will be providing stakeholders with more details through various means.
At a Glance
- Location: Municipal District of Willow Creek, 29km southwest of Fort Macleod.
- Technology: 43-46 wind turbines –each on 90-110 metre towers
- May 9, 2019 – Public Open House
- June 2019 – Alberta Utilities Commission Facilities Application Submission
- June 2020 – Construction Start
- June 2021 – Commercial Operations
Facts & Figures
- Location: Fort Macleod, AB
- Fuel: Wind
- Capacity (MW): 207
- Ownership: 100%
- First on-stream: May 2021
- Revenue Source: LTC
- Contract Expiry: 2041
If you have any questions or wish to discuss the Windrise Wind Project, please contact us:
Tel: 1-877-547-3365 extension 3